Thursday, February 19, 2009

On Religion

Religion, for me, is nothing more than the false promises of something that doesn't even exist. God is not real therefore God does not exist. At least, not in the way that organized religion reveals their truths about God.

Religion has been evident in human life as far back as the modern human has walked the earth. How do we know this? We know this not through scripture, which is not the word of God, but the word of men, but by the history of violence that has been inescapable due to the clash of religions over the meanings of scripture. Each religion claims to hold authority about what is truth, and from this they feel justified in asserting their truth as the only truth, as only truth can be, and therefore all other interpretations of the word of man are necessarily wrong, and therefore they are to be condemned, both on earth by the will of men, and in hell by the will of God. Hence, we kill men, for the sake of that which is to come. How does any of this make sense? How is any of this moral? How does this make our world a better place to be...which is the only place we can ever be...our bodies the human being.

We don't contain souls. The only soul we have is our conscience. Conscience stemming from the firing of synapses, which in turn cause emotion at certain moments, as our bodies react to certain events. However, there is the social, nurture element to this all as well. I love because I allow myself to love. I don't love my neighbor the way I love my family, and I never will. I love my family because they are not God's creation, but my own. And if I do love my neighbor, it is because I love myself, as a human being, and therefore I love all human beings out of respect for my own.

The only truth about our existence is simply that....we exist. The best we can do, which is the best there is, is to be responsible for our actions, and teach others to be responsible for theirs. If I choose to have sex, I will be responsible for my actions, knowing the possible outcomes, whatever they may be, hence, if I became pregnant, it would be amoral, and irresponsible to destroy that which I myself chose to create. If I choose to break the law, I choose to have my being reprimanded for my irresponsibility, for there are some responsibilities that are imposed on our being...not by God, but by man.

The one thread of thought that I do agree with is this: that everything happens for a reason. However, unlike the theological premise, which argues reason as the will of God, I argue that everything happens in consequence of our actions. In that the exact consequence can never fully and completely be know to us, since time neither stands still, nor moves backwards, the actual event of happening can only be conceptualized as an intended consequence, however, the intention behind the action, however the action is reacted to, still holds the actor responsible, since they chose to act in that way.

All religion does is remove from us the responsibility, and replace it with something called fate, and from this idea of fate, regardless of our actions, they prescribe unto us that if we have faith, we will be saved no matter what the intention may have been. Pray, and all is forgiven, confess and you are pure again.

As for the morals that are instilled in almost all religions, I would argue that they are not followed because of religion, but because we are human beings, and as such, relying on each other from conception until death, we respect them. These morals defined as being kind to one another and so on. As far as the 10 commandments go...they command no human, making them simply insignificant words that do nothing but invoke false immoral actions...none of which should concern us...for they simply replace irresponsibility for sin, which again, we can ignore because God will forgive us as long as we have faith.

But what the hell do I know, after all, I am only human.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home